Friday, March 24, 2017

Best Day

I probably just had the best day of teaching in my life.
I would really like you to ask your 6th grader what happened in Christian studies. In case they don't tell you what happened here is my story.
It all started in my Christian Studies class. We have been having some issues in our Middle School. We have dealt with these issues in many ways. In my 6th grade class we have been praying for each other after our Bible lesson. We have been writing down prayers on index cards and then passing to the left and right.
Today I decided to do something completely different. I had the kids push their desks to the sides of the room so that the middle space was bare. I had 6 chairs on the outside of the bare space. The kids were curious to say the least. They all wanted to know what I was doing. I played worship songs as the kids sang along. If they wanted someone to pray for them, they would go sit in a chair. I have done this before with my High School youth group. It has always been a great time, but I was concerned because they are 6th grade and pretty immature. For the first four songs everyone just sang. I thought I had made a huge mistake. No one was willing to take the risk of having others pray for them. On the next song, someone took the risk. I had intended for just one kid to go pray for those in the seats, what I saw was several people going over to pray for each other. My heart was so touched. That was what started the huge ball rolling. At one point I was singing with only one other student. Everyone else was praying or receiving prayer. Eventually I ran out of songs and it seemed like everyone had prayed for each other.
I then decided to pray for each child out loud. Can you believe it? I would say what I am thankful for each child and something I know they are struggling with. Most of the time I was in tears. Tears of joy of course. We were interrupted by a fire drill. I was praying for Briana Millett at the time, so right in the middle of the class. I knew I was doing the right thing when almost everyone came to me and said we have to finish. When we came inside, I kept them from their next class and finished. As I was praying for the last student, several kids came and stood by me. Then they took in turn to pray for in the way I was praying for them. They lifted me up and prayed for my struggles. In the end we had a huge 6th grade group huge. I will always remember that.
The rest of the day was also enjoyable. Students were on task. They were focused. I also heard that the other students had talks and I will let those teachers share with you. We are changing the culture in this place. As an added bonus our students were great at lunch and earned their third gold star. When they come back from Spring Break they will no longer have assigned seat. (unless we need to go back to it)

As far as students coming work...
Christian Studies we will be going on to Jeremiah and soon have the Babylonian invasion.
In Science students should finish their instruments and bring in sound proof material.
In Math we finished the test on Ch. 6 and moving on to the second book starting with the Pythagorean Theorem (say that 5 times fast)
In history we will finish India in the coming days.

Have a wonderful Spring Break.
Blessings
Mr. Bauer

1 comment:

  1. Grace mentioned it right away when I picked her up, and it brought tears to my eyes too. Mr. Bauer, they are blessed by your teaching but especially by your ministry to them.:) Thank you. - Rachel

    ReplyDelete